WebApp Sec mailing list archives

OWASP WebGoat release WebMaven v1.0

From: bill <bill () owasp org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:19:14 -0700 (PST)

The OWASP WebGoat 'blame it on the goat'project team
are pleased to release Version 1.0 of WebMaven.

WebMaven is an intentionally broken web application.
It is intended to be used in a safe legal environment
(your own host) as a training tool, as a a basic
benchmark platform to test web application security
scanners and as a HoneyPot. The current incarnation
is a simple Perl CGI from which you can add your own
HTML front-end.
 Example vulnerabilities include XSS, SQL injection
and parameter tampering.

The original code was developed by David Roades
of MavenSecurity and many thanks go to Steve Taylor
for the extra hours he has put into the project to
ensure that it works with Apache on both Linux and
Win32 environment.

You can download the files in a zip or tar.gz file
from the OWASP project page

http://www.owasp.org/webgoat/

The work is not done yet though. Version 1 is really
the proof of concept ! There are a limited set of
vulnerabilities.

We are immediately starting building V2 in Java or
PHP and will look at a much more functional release
early next year. More vulnerabilities, easier
benchmarking results maybe even "plug and pray" holes
{tm} ;-). If you want to join the project team and
can offer some regular development time, please
contact William Hau (bill () owasp org) with a quick
note of your coding skills and time you can commit.

One key output from this project will be to
eventually start benchmarking commercial and
opensource app scanners on the market today.

If you use a commercial or open source tool and
want  to share your results, send them to
bill () owasp org so we can collate them into a
benchmark database. We were pretty shocked
from our own internal tests !

In the mean while enjoy and remember that it is
an intentionally insecure application. Do not deploy
on systems you don't want compromised !.

Look out for lots more OWASP development projects
popping in http-land near you soon !

Enjoy !

OWASP WebGoat