WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Secure Coding for Newbies?

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:17:38 -0500

I absolutely agree with Kevin. Read "A Study in Scarlet" if you don't
believe.  http://www.securereality.com.au/archives/studyinscarlet.txt.
Things like strong typing, lack of pointers, separation of code and data,
and modularity don't guarantee security, but it's damn hard to build
something secure without them. So choose an environment that makes it as
hard as possible to do things wrong.

A nice discussion of securing the PHP environment as well as the code
itself is in this Earthweb article
http://softwaredev.earthweb.com/script/article/0,,12063_918141,00.html.
There's also another short guide here
http://www.whip3.net/whitepapers/phpguide.php. You might find the Perl