WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: cgi to update a datable table

From: allanwind () attbi com (Allan Wind)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:35:58 -0500

On 2002-10-29 13:31:52, Kevin Spett wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what the original poster was asking for, but...

Have you considered separating the data into different tables?  One with
write permissions, one with read only?

Most database systems feature things like per-column permissions, etc.  You
wouldn't need two tables.

True, but I do not think you really want to fiddle with database users
and permissions.  Say, the application is a corporate address book and
you only want the owner of the entry and a group of users to be able to
change an entry.  You can also do this sort of thing with stored
procedures, and in fact I quite a lot of fun implementing row level
access control based on the user logged in.

I really want permission to be transient and tied to a form request (or
said differently, a given session may be allowed to change row 1 now,
but only for 30 min or till user submits this form).  There most be a
simple or widely method to deal with this sort of thing, otherwise it
would be trivial to overwrite all the data in a given table as long
as you have write access to a row in it.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022