WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: URL Scan for IIS

From: securityarchitect () hush com
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:47:30 -0800

"blocks all known attacks"....wow thats a powerful statement ! Whats that based on ? Do I thow away my application IDS
now then ;-) I could write bad code and this will stop it all then ? eeeek....

Unless I missed something the IIS lockdwon wizard selection doesn't change the URL scan ini file. It turns of services
and mappings. If you select an html only site it will not map ASP etc as well as all the unmapping of htw, htr etc

What I was really looking for was something more like

by adding the < and > strings you can stop XSS..

My real question is this seems to be reversed to good practice for inout filtering, ie i want to say only allow this in
the ini file and automaticaly block the meta-chars...