WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: webgoat breaking

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:56:00 -0500

Hi,

The challenge is intended to be very difficult (and in some cases
tedious), like penetrating systems in the real world.  But it's definitely
achievable with patience and thought.  I've always said your best pentest
tool is in your head.

Anyway, you can solve the authentication stage by figuring out how to
access the source code and then just checking the logic.  You're right
that it is not based on SQL.  Another solid reason for code review, but
that's another thread.  There is another way to get the credentials by
sniffing the network, but it's not realistic in most environments and was
intended to teach a different skill.

As far as defacing the site using the SSI vulnerability, you'll need to
learn the SSI syntax and then look for a command you could inject and use.
I'm sure you can execute the attack if you think hard.  The code can also
be your guide if you figured out how to access it.  Of course you could
cheat and extract it from CVS, but it is available through a separate
weakness in WebGoat.

Good luck,

--Jeff

Jeff Williams