WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Serverside script injection?

From: joh ket <johket () hotmail com>
Date: 10 Jan 2003 09:05:31 -0000

Hi there.

I have a question regarding serverside script injection. Does it exist -
is it possible?

In the past there were some vulnerabilities in serverside scripts. It was
possible to execute OS-commands through URL/userinput manipulation,
I assume this happened mostly with CGI and perl scripts. Was this just
based on the way the variables (userinput) was used in OS commands,
and if the 'user data' was able to break out the intended command?

I think it depends on the applicationserver software if 'serverside script
injection' is possible or not (assuming the programmer/coder does not want
any security). In my opinion most important is the way that the
applicationserver handles variables. The possibility for variables to
contain commands...

Is it (theoretically) possible on ASP servers to inject 'malicious' code
into the webpage, so that it is processed on the serverside?
Is it possible on PHP or Coldfusion?

Are there any real life examples?
(so that I can play with it in my testlab)

Thank you for all reactions!

Regards,