WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Reverse Proxy and Link Encoding

From: security lists <lists28 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

I believe both Neoteris and Bluecoat have Reverse
Proxy products that do this.  There are also various
other comercial products that claim to have this
functionality.

--- Michael Naef <michael.naef () inf ethz ch> wrote:

Hi all

I have a follow-up question to Dean's inquiry on
reverse proxies...

I am looking for a reverse proxy that does not let
_any_ client-provided
data through. This would be achieved by parsing all
web pages in order to
identify the hyper links contained. Then, all the
hyper links would be
replaced by the proxy's address and a suitable
encoding. Also, the proxy
would maintain a table with all the encodings and
the original link. When
the client requests such an encoded link, the proxy
would do a lookup in
the table and retrieve the original link.

Example:

1) Proxy retrieves some web page that contains the
link
   http://www.foo.com/
2) Proxy replaces this link in the web page by
something like the
   following link: http://proxy/77352102 and sends
the resulting
   page to the client.
3) Client hits the link. Proxy analyzes the encoding
and does the lookup
   in the table to find the original link. It
retrieves the page, parses
   the content, replaces links, and sends the result
to the client again.

(Startup: The proxy would have a well-defined
collection of possible links
that are already encoded and serve as a starting
point.)

I am aware that such a proxy is quite prohibitive
with regard to browsing
the web. However, it can be useful in environments
that must prevent
potentially hostile traffic (e.g. "hacked" URLs,
malformed POST data etc.)
to leave to the Internet and still allow basic
browsing capabilities.

Does anybody know of a proxy that does this (or
something similar)? (My
research has not been successful so far.)

Thanks
myke.