WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: browsers and trojan-like behaviour

From: "Tim Heagarty" <tim () heagarty com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:35:38 -0700

This appears to be the known behavior of the free version of Opera as
stated at http://www.opera.com/docs/ads/. And
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/security/prefs/ads/index.dml and
this topic is the second paragraph of the Opera  privacy policy at
http://www.opera.com/privacy/.

I don't see where they confirm that the user accepts this privacy policy
or acknowledges that the user knows of the Ad window and how it works.
The acknowldegement could come during the installation of course, but
who reads those silly licenses anyway?

The number of popups and junk that appear on the SimTel download page
should probably lead one to believe that there is Spyware close at hand.

As Opera.com states it is easy to eliminate this behavior, for only
$39.00, but does that eliminate the communication or just reduce it?

Tim Heagarty CISSP, MCSE
http://www.TheaSecure.com/
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand
binary, and those that don't."
Work: (928) 636-0489