WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Federated Security Applications and Implications.

From: "Chandrashekhar B" <Bchandrashekar () novell com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:59:14 -0600

Hi,

You can take a look at SAML which is a standard XML syntax for sharing
authentication and authorization assertions embedded in SOAP messages.
Here are some locators,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=security,
http://xml.coverpages.org/saml.html

2. An XMl encoded SPKI  which is a Certificate structure and operating
procedure for trust management across domains,
http://xml.coverpages.org/xml-spki.html

Thanks,
Chandru.

"Shaji Sethu" <ssethu () micros com> 04/09/03 03:41AM >>>
All,
Recently I have been investigating requirements to build a pseudo P2P
(uses
a combination of P2P and Client Server) distributed application based
on XML
web services. The main requirement for the application has to be such
that
secure domains can join or leave the application network without much
effort. The platform has not been finalised yet but my preference is
.NET.
Considering the requirements a Federated Architecture for security
comes to
mind, the only application that comes close to it is the Liberty One
from
Sun. I had talked to the local Microsoft guys in Australia and they
suggested Trust Bridge which was due for shipment with Windows 2003
and
their specifications were a bit vague and pointed me to a msdn web site
with
5 lines explaining it.

The question is:
1. Is there any solution out there which implements federated security
model
where security domains can easily join and leave without complex
system
administration.
2. Are there any white papers or research papers published on this (BTW
have gone through the ACM archives without much luck)?
3. Has anyone looked at the security implications of this and
WS-Security?
4. Is this viable or does this technology has the pie in the sky
status?

Thanks for any help on this.

Best Regards.

Shaji Sethu