WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: web application access control research

From: Ray Stirbei <me () highentropy org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:51:09 -0400

I completely agree with Jeff and would just like to add:
1) the reference monitor (that deals to all references/requests to objects) is
really the center of gravity for security.
2) the access control matrix is the focal point of an application's security
policy. Things of less importance, but necessary, to think about in a policy:
password length/aging/changes, what to do with inactive user ids, how to
handle password compromise, etc. A comprehensive infosec policy (among other
things) is what separates an amateur development team from the pros.
3) if an architect isn't very familiar with reference monitors, it might be
best to buy instead of build. There are many competent commercial products in
this space.
4) if it intent is to build regardless, one doesn't have to start from
scratch; that is what design patterns are for. 'A system of patterns'
(published by Wiley) is highly recommended and the patterns are platform
independent. 'J2EE Design Patterns Applied' (published by Wrox) is obviously
platform specific and includes source code. Look up the security patterns
like 'single access point', 'check point', etc - they start on page 200.

Hope that helps

ray