WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: IIS log - GETs vs. POSTs

From: Lucas Holt <luke () foolishgames com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:09:21 -0400

Bottom line, use POST when possible. Also buy an SSL key for web applications.

I'd like to comment on this example:
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/useradd.cgi?data">

In this case, aren't you posting to a URL with a query string? The official reason for using POST requests is for bodies that are larger than the common default accepted by user agents. Query strings can only be so long. Information hiding is a side benefit.

I think people should realize that using POST does not make your application secure in any way. You must check user input. I could take lynx, hack the source, and add a feature to change hidden variables on forms, etc. I've actually seen plugins to do that with Mozilla. Programming web applications is far more serious than conventional apps.. because EVERYONE can access/attack them. Its a lot like having a windows machine on the internet with no firewall or patches. :)

Lucas Holt
Luke () FoolishGames com