WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Dictionary and brute forcing web authentication?

From: Sasa Jusic <sasa.jusic () zesoi fer hr>
Date: 15 Sep 2003 15:19:32 -0000

Hi Mark,

You should try curl (http://curl.haxx.se/)in combination with some scripting language like Perl, bash, etcÂ…. It is a
great tool for this purpose and it has a support for SSL protocol, so it is even possible to brute-force the login
interfaces over SSL.

The problem with successful and failed attempts you mentioned, you can resolve by looking in HTTP responses from
server. If login is successful you will probably get a special identification cookie string from server which will show
that your login attempt is correct. Otherwise, you will get a default cookie which is sent in the first reply from
server.

I had the identical problem few days ago, and I have solved it this way.

If you need more information, please contact me.

Good luck,

Sasa

I'm looking for advice on dictionary and brute forcing web =
authentication.
Most of the websites I have access to at work have various kinds of =
forms
based authentication.  I've been playing with a plugin for Sleuth
(httpbrute_plugin.zip) and am having difficulty.

At a minimum I need to give the plugin the user and password fields from =
the
source of the webpage so it knows where to perform the dictionary =
attack.  I
also need a failure string so the plugin knows when it has failed (and =
if it
hasn't failed, theoretically succeeded), but herein lies the problem.  =
I'm
looking at a page called "securedefault.asp" .. When I enter a bogus
username and password, the login screen just displays again .. No =
special
failure message.

Any ideas how to handle this?

Also .. I noticed on some websites that as soon as you go to them, a =
user
and password box pops up.  I am not able to view source on these, either =
in
IE or Sleuth.  In IE the user and password box opens immediately, and in
Sleuth I get a Windows username and password box.  I'm assuming these =
are
*not* basic http authentication?  Any advice on how to dictionary attack
these things?

Thanks!

Mark