WebApp Sec mailing list archives

websites and privacy

From: "Hephaestus" <hephaestus () phreaker net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:22:13 -0700

I am browsing a website & next day I get spam from them in my
mailbox....
Is this coincidence?

Or in general

What is the maximum harm in terms of privacy that a malicious web site
can
cause to a casual surfer?

Did you submit a form or give them your email address?  If not, the
question is what are you running and how is your browser configured?  If
you didn't submit or somehow give them your email address, then unless
it's coincidence, you better check your settings.

Also be aware that if you have a cookie on your machine that can be tracked
back to your identity due to your interactions with another participating
site, a website can identify you.  In the absence of a coincidence, I would
suspect one of the banner ad/user tracking networks like doubleclick or
sextracker.

A variety of cookie related tools can help mitigate this threat.

http://www.junkbusters.com/cookies.html
http://www.epic.org/privacy/cookies/default.html