WebApp Sec mailing list archives

IP Address Question - Dead Thread by Midnight

From: Mark Curphey <mark () curphey com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:43:54 -0400 (EST)

Given this is already somewhat off-topic and a very basic topic covered in many places on the Internet, I am going to
kill it at midnight tonight unless it develops into an interesting webappsec thread.

---- lj-news <lj-news () umsys com> wrote:
To effectively impersonate a remote IP and carry on TCP session I'm pretty sure either:
A> you have to be able to guess the sequence numbers and interact with the server completely blind (since you'll
never get return traffic)
B> you have to be using a man-in-the-middle attack to intercept the return traffic or manipulate the return path

If that doesn't seem correct then someone please comment.

-LJ