WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: looking for advanced web hacking course

From: Bill Pennington <billp () boarder org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:37:50 -0800

While I agree with the principal thoughts behind Tim's assertions I do believe that you can get pretty far with 2-3 days of training.

Full Disclosure - I have given a 2 day Web Application Hacking class at BlackHat Seattle '03. I will leave it to any students that want to speak up as to how useful they thought it was. I am no longer offering this class, less anyone think I am pitching here.

I think the best web application testers (note I am talking about blackbox testing aka. Application Pen-Testing) are people that love to solve puzzles, peel away processes layer-by-layer and try to figure out how it all works. Then once you figure that out spend time trying to poke holes in it. Programing knowledge, while helpful, is not required in most cases. A basic willingness to learn, a good google'ing ability to fill in the gaps, and the perverse mindset to try to figure out what some over-caffeinated developer was trying to accomplish when they decided to ROT13 the username and password in a cookie :-) is all the is required to become a good application tester. Notice I said to become a good tester, experience is key to any good app. tester. There are no tools in existence that will find the logical flaws in web applications, must scanners have a hard enough time finding all the XSS and SQL Injection issues on a given site. Never let anyone selling a scanner tell you it is going it find all your web application security issues, it is simply not true.

As for training classes, while you will not learn how to perform SQL Injection on any DB platform for all Web App. languages you can learn the concepts behind SQL Injection, why it happens, what is actually going on in some simple examples, and how a developer might go about fixing it. The instructor can explain some of the issues they have discovered in the past and what the root causes of the issues where. After 2-3 days the student should be able to go back and have an excellent understanding of the types of issues they should be looking for, and a good list of terms and concepts that will help them track down any areas of knowledge they are sort on.

Wow see this is what happens when I have Vietnamese iced coffee at lunch! Sorry for rambling.