WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Intresting case of SQL Injection

From: "George W. Capehart" <gwc () acm org>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:40:36 -0500

FYI,

Thought this thread might be of interest to the list.  It can be
accessed from the bugtraq archives on SecurityFocus.

/g

Subject: Re: Intresting case of SQL Injection
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:18:30 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
To: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Cc: "Martin Sarsale (runa@sytes)" <runa () runa sytes net>,
bugtraq () securityfocus com

Scovetta, Michael V wrote:
  I've run into this, and my solution for MSSQL was to use Java
PreparedStatements).

Unfortunately, there appears to be a misconception surrounding Java
prepared statements.  Many developers assume that the only reason to
 use them is performance, and are extremely reluctant to switching
 (even if the application architecture would allow for that with a
 reasonable delevelopment effort).

I believe that the relative fragility of database gateways written in
PHP is a result of the late availability of higher-level database
interface libraries (comparable to JDBC or Perl's DBI) and thus the
large amount of hand-written SQL statement generation code.

--
George Capehart

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
  -- Unknown