WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Security issues with Asp.Net in Shared Hosting Environments

From: Mark Burnett <mb () xato net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:43:04 -0700

Further, many of the things you talk about can be restricted in
other ways. When I run your ANSA application against any of my
servers using
my standard build procedure, ALL of the tests fail, not just
because of my ASP.NET configuration, but because I take the
proper steps in securing the file system, the registry, WSH, FSO
WMI, etc.

That is interesting, even the unmanaged calls?
Did ANSA run in FullTrust?

I take that back, I ran the tests again and there was one call that
succeeded, that was the WinExec API. However, it ran with a limited
security context and wouldn't be able to do anything of consequence.
FSO and WSH can be restricted with file ACLs and registry keys. On FSO
I use registry permissions to have more granular control over which
objects people can access (fso and dictionary). You can also set ACLs
on WMI namespaces using the WMI admin tool (wmimgmt.exe). Cmd.exe is
not available to anonymous users and even if they provide their own,
the file ACLs on everything are so tight you really can't do much with
it. The anonymous users can't even get dir listings for most of the
system. And even the SYSTEM account needs to give itself permissions
to perform some actions (to prevent most automated attacks). This is
all standard stuff on my IIS lockdown procedure, although my procedure
is obviously that standard.

As for the ODBC issue, what I have always done is set strict
permissions (file and registry) on the specific drivers and removed
any unused drivers. I also tighten some of the settings in the
registry (such as sandbox mode). I haven't looked into this in enough
depth yet, but I am pretty sure that just about everything you want to
do you can accomplish by giving full trust and securing the system
with file, registry, WMI, COM+ and other permissions.

Mark Burnett