WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted URL

From: "scott wood" <swood () cambian com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:05:36 -0800

We encrypted the query parameters in a case where we are sending out
an email alert containing a URL that the user can click on. I thought
this would provide a little extra insurance against any manipulations
to the query parameters that the user might try and make to view
unauthorized pages or data. But we also force the user to authenticate
and then we do role-based authorization checks. So as long as the authorization
checking is being done properly for every possible manipulation, the
encryption doesn't provide any extra protection. But just in case it isn't,
it seemed like a simple way to add some protection.

scott
---
scott wood    swood at cambian dot com