WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA security requirements

From: "Clint Bodungen" <clint () secureconsulting com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:50:58 -0600

Matt, the biggest problem with the technical security-related portion of the
HIPAA regs is that almost everything IS implied.  It's still basically just
nothing more than a broad list of standard "best practices".  However, at
least they TRY to provide some procedural guidelines by referencing NIST.
These are the most current regulatory requirements, which includes NIST
quidelines referenced in the regs.

http://www.hipaadvisory.com/regs/finalsecurity/index.htm (It's a good HIPAA
site as a whole with plenty of information and links to other sources.)

I was wondering if anyone has come across any specific requirements that
are implicit or even implied by the security-related portions of the
HIPAA act, including amendments.  As a web application developer, I have
to assure my healthcare clients that we will strive to meet HIPAA
requirements, but have never come across any document or analysis that
tries to bring into focus what precisely that means in the context of
database-backed web applications.  Some things are obvious:  If your app
does absolutely anything that could expose patient information to the
wrong eyes, that would fall astray.  Others are not quite as obvious.
Also, after a contract has been completed, if new exploits are
discovered, what are the developer's ongoing responsibilities?  Is the
developer forever obligated to point out new security weaknesses so that
the client can opt to hire someone to fix them?  If not, where does the
liability end?

Does anyone know of any such document, discussion, or guidance?  Care to
start one?  I'll help.

Thanks,

Matt Kenigson
president () sheergenius com