WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Phishing

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:06:34 -0400

A trend I have noticed with a lot of online banks is to place the login page
within http and then POST the form to HTTPS. They typically use a padlock
icon (image) on the form to indicate that the POST location is over HTTPS.
However the end result is that the place you are being asked to enter your
username and password was not authenticated using server SSL auth (i.e. the
cert).  Net result you do not know that you are entering your username and
password into a legitimate site (sure you could check POST action but how
many end users would ever do that).

This practice IMHO makes phishing another step easier and I really think
there needs to be awareness of the issues to stop it.