WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [OWASP-GUIDE] Question concerning usage of languages for webapps

From: Adrian Wiesmann <awiesmann () swordlord org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:58:54 +0200

Hello list

Thank you for your help concerning my question about web application
languages usage. Please note that I neither counted the total sum of
replies nor is the list below in any way representative. I only use it to
decide on which language to cover in the OWASP Guide v2.

Here are the results in one simple list. The numbers below the language
names represent the number of time the language was mentioned (so one user
could mention multiple languages, but every language only one time). One
speciality is the ASP.NET line. The number left of the equals sign is the
total number of mentionings and the numbers on the right define which
languages are used within the .NET framework. This means that one
developer can use both c# and vb.net. (But this counts only once.)

PHP
14

Java/JSP
10

Perl
9
(one person said perl for backend purposes and php for frontend)

ASP.NET (undefined/C#/VB.NET)
9 = 5 / 3 / 2

ASP
5

Python
3

PL/SQL
2

TSQL
2

ColdFusion
1

Sybase PowerScript
1

TCL
1

1

Delphi
1

JavaScript
1

The interpretation of the result is yours :)

Thanks again for your help,
Adrian