WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: improvements in session management?

From: Michael Ströder <michael () stroeder com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:28:50 +0200

Michael Ströder wrote:
WebAppSecurity [Technicalinfo.net] wrote:

1.  Only allow any user to have a single active connection to the web
application. (simultaneous logins result in slosure of all sessions).

Great opportunity for DoS attacks. ;-)

After being asked off list:

Sorry, maybe I got the original poster wrong.

My first thought was if someone manages to grab the session ID he/she can logout the valid user immediately by trying to access the web application with this session ID.

But after rethinking maybe the original poster thought about a second login with a *valid* authentication. This would not be vulnerable to DoS attack. Well, still I'd assume it's bad advice to close all sessions. A better approach would be to refuse the second login.

Ciao, Michael.