WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Securing through the IIS web server domain logon

From: Saqib.N.Ali () seagate com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:00:20 -0700

You can use AUTH_USER or REMOTE_USER to get the username of the
authenticated user. More info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/servervariables.asp

"Koniszewski, Jeffrey" <JKoniszewski () Kronos com> wrote on 08/17/2004
02:21:26 PM:

Our application provides security via an application logon and web
application session. We layer lots of access control on top of the
user session. The web server is set to serve up files via the iusr
account, i.e. web server access is via anonymous logon.

We have a customer with high security needs that wants to restrict
directory access on the web server to domain authenticated users
(remove iusr access). This, as I understand it, would require the
web server to prompt for domain authentication. Then file access on
the web server would be via the authenticated domain user's account.
However, our application still needs to authenticate the user as
well. Actually, all we probably need is the user name. We have never
set up to work this way. Is there a way to get the user name from
the IIS domain logon? Is it accessible via the HTTP session? Thanks.