WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Session Management and IP address - experiences?

From: "Mike Randall" <mrandall () ajla net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:00:08 -0500

The application I'm currently working on forces the user to
reauthenticate each time the client IP address changes, but they must
only reauthenticate once per IP address.  Their session is left intact
and they are able to continue where they were.  We originally had it so
the user would reauthenticate for each IP flip-flop, but our AOL users
got stuck in a continuous authentication loop.  For the most part, the
AOL users were flip-flopping between two or three IP addresses, so we
had them authenticate once for each distinct IP address.

Mike Randall