WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Webserver problems

From: kquest () toplayer com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:27:09 -0400

The event data shows that the SAS ISAPI
module is processing the request in a thread
from the IIS Asynchronous Thread Queue pool
as oppose to doing it in its own thread
(like ASP does).

It's hard to know what is going on without
knowing the IIS version, but it seems like
the overflow occurs when the response is
being encrypted. After some "magic" stuff
is done in the ATQ thread, the SAS module
is called (through WAM, Web Application Manager,
which the interface IIS uses to communicate
with ISAPI applications). The SAS ISAPI
module ends up calling the WriteFile()
function passing the response back
to the IIS server, which, in turn,
calls the SSL module to encrypt the
reply and send it to the client. It seems like
the server dies in the EncryptData() function
while it's doing a string copy (rep movsb).
It's possible that i'm totally off... because
I'm probably using a different IIS version.

Kyle