WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Hacme Bank

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:07:16 -0500

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 08:31, Don Tuer wrote:
      I understand that the Hacme site is intentionally buggy my point
was that it's quite surprising that Mark sees these very basic errors
continuing to be made by web developers. Basic training in the .NET
platform and some on line reading will emphasize to the developer not to
make these mistakes.

You don't travel much, do you?

The fact that training and information is available does not mean that
it will automatically be absorbed. Just the fact that a lot of
developers are hard-pressed on meeting project deadlines doesn't usually
leave time for them to attend training, and if it does, it's limited in
time/scope. It typically takes an "external auditor" -- most of time
requested by clients or business partners, or required by other business
requirements -- to convince management to allow for more time and
education of the developers for security related things.

While overall the level of security awareness and competence is
increasing, I think we're still a long way off from the desired goal.

That raises the question, though, how we could measure that success.
Perhaps an index of XSS vulnerable web sites?

Regards,
Frank