WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Securing encrypted data in RAM vs MSSQL

From: "Yvan Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:08:35 -0500

This will not yield the password; it will yield a value that, when hashed,
will yield the same MD5 checksum.  Hashes can yeild the same result from
various inputs.  These are called hash collisions.  If you are performing a
simple MD5 hash without any additional transformations on the data then an
identified value that will yield such a hash collision would suffice as the
password.  This is why authentication using only a hash algorithm is not
always the best way to do it.

Yvan Boily
Seccuris