WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Potential XSS errors when using information from HTTP requests

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:36:36 -0400

Wide open redirectors should be avoided. We see these frequently in
applications that redirect to error pages, login pages, and other parts of
the application.

An attacker can use these to redirect a user's browser to anywhere without
validation.  So they're just asking to be abused by pfishers.  Gives the
pfisher a bit of credibility since the real application did the redirecting.

If you're redirecting, make sure you 1) validate the targets carefully, and
2) remember that the redirect goes through the user's browser and can be
changed. Don't trust anything from an HTTP request, even if it came from a
redirect.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.