WebApp Sec mailing list archives

TrustBar and insecure sites of PayPal, MS Passport, Yahoo!, Chase, ...

From: Amir Herzberg <herzbea () cs biu ac il>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:40:25 +0200

Web spoofing and phishing attacks are probably the largest current threat to sensitive and financial web sites. Yet, many web site designers and webmasters, as well as browser developers, fail to take the basic measures to prevent such attacks. In fact, some of the largest and most visible and sensitive web sites still ask users to enter passwords into unprotected web forms - making it trivial for attackers to emulate these pages and steal passwords. These include PayPal, chase, Microsoft's passport, Yahoo!, eBay, TD Waterhouse,... (I've checked most of them about a month ago and this was still the case; I've checked PayPal today...)

What's wrong with these web site owners??? Is there any excuse?? Can't they fix this trivial bug _before_ hackers use this to steal lots of userid-passwords and money?? It is frightning to think of the potential result of such negligence!!

I noticed this weakness of major sites, while testingTrustBar. TrustBar is a tiny open-source anti spoofing/phising tool we develop as part of Ahmad Gbara's masters thesis; the research is in http://www.cs.biu.ac.il/~herzbea//Papers/ecommerce/spoofing.htm. TrustBar is currently available for Mozilla and FireFox browsers from http://TrustBar.mozdev.org. Try it...

TrustBar appears at the top of each window opened by the browser, and displays either a clear warning for insecure pages (useful to notice unprotected sites...), or the identity of the site and of the certificate authority which identified it - either by names or by logos (logos are much better for security, convenience and branding, but since current certificates do not include logos, currently TrustBar users have to select them manually (once) from the right-click mouse menu - actually, this is not so bad, from my experiance).

Best, Amir Herzberg