WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: AD in the DMZ

From: "David Mowers" <davemo () winse microsoft com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:52:24 -0800

Hello,

I'm not sure what Microsoft's "identity management" application is
referring to. Can you provide more information on what you think this
might be?

To be sure, the concern raised in this thread is a common one and you
can find Microsoft documentation that says both the "trust-based" and
the "shadow account" approaches are possible for the extranet/intranet
access scenario.

The original issue in this thread must be considered through a threat
modeling process. Yes, enumeration of AD accounts is something that
would be possible today, but any alternative design should be subjected
to the same concern. The fact of the matter is, if the external-facing
web application can authenticate some number of users then a compromise
of that server would almost surely provide a way to enumerate the same
set of users. This would be true if the organization set up separate
(shadow) accounts in the extranet AD or used some other completely
different kind of identity store such as an LDAP server or database.

On the plus side for using the architecture described, it provides user
convenience (SSO) and also reduces greatly the management overhead of
maintaining multiple accounts. More accounts almost always adds
additional points of security vulnerability, so you might be trading a
problem you know about (and can design/deploy/operate to protect
against) for a problem you don't know about or for a system that can't
be managed effectively.

I would recommend that anyone carefully consider all relevant aspects of
the architecture before deciding that one alternative is more secure
then another.

Dave Mowers
Microsoft Security Solutions

Check out the Microsoft Identity and Access Management Solution Series
at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/identity/idmanage/defau
lt.mspx