WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Sample JAVA application

From: Chris Vanden Berghe <Chris () VandenBerghe org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:00:52 +0100

Dear Jeff,

Do you keep statistics on the vulnerabilities you discover?

I'm not sure if I fully agree on your statement that Java is prone to all common problems except for buffer overflows. Yes, Java is prone to many of the same vulnerabilities that other platforms are vulnerable to, but I would expect that the specific properties of the Java platform make some classes of vulnerabilities more and others less likely in Java compared to other platforms.

For example. while it is certainly possible to code an SQL injection vulnerability in a Java application, it does mean that you are ignoring the SQL prepared statements API. I would expect that PHP applications are more likely to have SQL injection vulnerabilities since (the last time I checked) PHP doesn't have such a good SQL API available.

It would be interesting to see the common vulnerabilities in Web Applications -or general applications for that matter- per development platform. I think we would see large differences depending on the platform and the intended use of the applications.

In my case, I would be especially interested to have an overview of the most important vulnerabilities for Java Web Application and Web Services.

Cheers,
Chris.

---
Jeff Williams wrote:
Chris,

We examine many large web apps and web services. The easy way to answer your
question is that Java apps have all the common problems *except* buffer
overflows and related problems. The most common, in my opinion, are problems
related to input validation, access control, and authentication.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.
http://www.aspectsecurity.com