WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: An Open Letter (and Challenge) to the Application Security Consortium

From: "Michael Silk" <michaels () phg com au>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:38:30 +1100

Hi,

        Firstly let me say I would consider myself a member of owasp
(although I haven't really done much :)) but I'm not taking sides here.

        In this letter, you raise the point of " ... Building secure
software requires deep changes in our development culture, including
people, processes, and technology ... ". Valid point, I thought.

        In the next paragraph, however - and seemingly the main point of
this article - you go on to say that your "solution" is to create a tool
that just covers more vulnerabilities then that provided by the ASC
(btw: are there any links to what they suggested?) and that this tool
should be used by these application firewalls (which you previously
suggested a 'not very' useful). This leaves me confused ... What was the
point here ? To say that they aren't covering enough technical
vulnerabilities (sql injection, etc) or that they are ignoring the most
important factor - a sound security design.

        To me, it seems you are attempting to provide them with, to use
your words, the "... elusive silver bullet" that you claim they
shouldn't be searching for. If, however, your submission succeeds and
these corporations use the OWASP Testing Application it would be more
powerful then it otherwise would've been: they can get a big shiny stamp
from OWASP saying "We Passed!".

        Don't get me wrong, I'm not against having OWASP, or whoever,
providing a comprehensive application that mimics common vulnerabilities
- but I'm just not sure what the point of this letter was and I am
wondering whether OWASP really wants to provide the companies with these
stamps of approval.

        The issue, however, seems to be that of companies rating
themselves. Other industries have covered this issue  ... Enegry
ratings, car safety, etc ... Perhaps there could be some discussion of
how to formalise these rating for the application security community ...
In Australia something like this would be enforced by the ACCC
(Australian Competition and Consumer Commission), I'm sure America would
have a similar organisation .. Perhaps proposals could be made ?

-- Michael