WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: Michael Silk <michaelsilk () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:54:50 +1100

Hi,

        The system is complex, but not from a users point of view - not more
complicated then they would otherwise face with a "forgot your
password" system.

        You mention the physical token but, as pointed out, it's susceptible
to MITM attack.

        The critical thing to note about my proposal was that the user can't
_accidently_ use the correct password at the wrong site. Even with a
token you could be tricked into visiting an fake site and plugging it
in, etc.

        I don't see - ignoring problems with email delivery - how this system
would be more complicated for the users.

        I have actually created an email based login-system _to make it
easier_ for the users. (of course, it was internal only).

        What do you (or anyone ...) consider the main flaws in it, that
haven't been addressed ... ?

-- Michael