WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: "Philippe P." <webappsec () philippe prados name>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:36:46 +0100

Hello,

I like this paper ( http://www.securenet.de/papers/Session_Riding.pdf ), but i would like to make some comments:

- In chapter 6.3.1, you say a javascript can help to submit the URL 1) and the URL 2).

I think it's not necessary to use javascript for that. It's possible to return a special page with an image with a bad link, and a new link to manage the next step. The next step make exactely the same, a page with image and next step. I think it's possible to make a complex scenario with this approach.

- In chapter 6, you propose countermeasures. But, your propositions are complexes. A better approach is to check the header Referer for each request with parameter. If the Referer is not compatible the the site, you can reject the request. It's very easy to install, and you can continue to use the HTTP cache.

Regards

Philippe PRADOS