WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in To day's Web Applications"

From: Noah Gray <NGray () worldrelief net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:48:55 -0500

While agreeing with much of the paper, I feel that there are two mitigating
factors not stronly enough reinforced:

1) Most sites use some form of Session Expiration. The whole of this paper
assumes the when the user is attacked, they are still logged in, and have a
valid session cookie intact. In reality, this attack is only useful while a
user is logged in, and shortly thereafter. Which, while being very plausible
in intranet application, is unlikely in internet applications, except in
focused attacks.

2) Less secure sites often allow for persistent cookie 'auto-login'
features. These sites are particularly vulnerable to this attack. However,
many of these still redirect the user through the login page, then redirect
to a 'start' page, rather than the requested page. This effectively strips
malicious commands. Further, in the case of eBay, which is not so clearly
named in the paper, that DO have an auto-login feature (My eBay), still
require entering a password to bid.

Other than that, this is very plausible attack that I would agree hasn't
received enough attention. I would also add that in the case of the img tag
in the email, an iframe could also be used, similar to recent viruses. It
needn't even be visible.

Regards,

Noah Gray