WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Content monitorting in Application Security

From: Ivan Ristic <ivanr () webkreator com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:13:54 +0000

Alfred Hitchcock wrote:

Hi All,
I have a major doubt it would be of great help if anybody can provide solution to this.
I have a web page which allows to upload files such as jpeg and html files.
Is there any mechanisms which can detect malicious html files. E.g. if a html page has got a malicious java script such as alert('xss') then how can we check these things. One more point to be noted here is that uploading of file can be done by any user.

  Why don't you modify your web page/application to analyze the files
  that are being uploaded? For HTML, one option is to use simple keyword
  search to detect malicious stuff. But a better approach is to
  decompose/parse HTML and then pick up only the elements you know are
  safe (e.g. leave out the Javascript altogether).

  On a web server level, mod_security can intercept and inspect files
  before they reach the application. This can come in handy if you need
  to enforce a site-wide policy or if you can't change the application
  for some reason.

--
Ivan Ristic (http://www.modsecurity.org)