WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI - Visa / MC / Amex merchant security standards

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:30:31 +1100

On a slightly general note about CISP/AIS and SDP, and the merged PCI.
It is good that there is a common benchmark for credit card payments.
The remaining difficulty is that the audit process is aimed at a number of
specifics that are costly (commercially impossible) to meet, and hence the
audit allows for 'compensating controls' to be considered to be deemed
equivalent.

Thus, if the standard calls for "X", a site can say "we do Y because our
software/hardware doesn't do X, and we believe Y is secure enough" and still
comply to the auditing standard.

I know the standard(s) are written to be "generic", but not generically
enough.

Of course, if every site were 100% compliant, they'd be running the almost
exactly same platfom, which is the bad practice of monoculture-ism, let
alone stifle innovation in the industry.

Compliance is a process issue, and these standards and underlying compliance
processes mean every site has most things; corrollary is the not all sites
have everything demanded in the standards.

It is also interesting to note that few banks could comply with the letter
of the Scheme defined standards for merchants and payment processors which
interact with those banks - certaily this is true in several Aisa Pacific
countries.

/rant

Lyal