WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Preventing direct URL access in a J2EE environment

From: RSnake <rsnake () shocking com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:34:30 -0800 (PST)

        Referers are also not availible in some security settings.
        Zonelabs Zone Alarm Pro, and both Norton Internet Security and
        Norton Personal Firewall all drop the referring URL.  Forget
        spoofable, sometimes it's just not there at all.

        See this for details from Symantec:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/46f26a2d6dafb0a788256bc7005c3fa3/b9b47ad7eddd343b88256c6b006a85a8?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

        There are a number of tricks you can use to get more information
        from the user's machine, but Referring URL isn't reliable.  Not
        to mention it can also be non-existant via meta refreshing.