WebApp Sec mailing list archives

awareness improvement demo

From: koro69 () yepmail net
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 13:14:42 +0100

hi list,

I am setting up an awareness improvement demo for an international
financial institution.
I know the subject is not new, but I would like to do something
up-to-date... :-)

I am planning 3 different demos, for different type of users:
- top management;

- IT staff;

- "average" user.

For each type of audience, I am planning different subjects:
- top management:
                - email: nature of an email: clear text, forged emails - virus
                - browsing: dangerous mobile codes, privacy (cache, cookies)
                - poor password limits
                - mobility: laptop, PDA, smartphone
                - potentially dangerous technologies: wifi, bluetooth, "blackberry"

- IT staff:
                - web app security (sql injection, cookies manipulation, etc)
                - "state of the art" attacks: stealth trojan...
                - live hacking of a web server
                - wifi detection, and wep cracking
                - google hacks
                - physical security, hardware keyloggers...

- "average" user:
                - email: nature of an email: clear text, forged emails - virus
                - browsing: dangerous mobile codes, privacy (cache, cookies)
                - poor password limits
                - social engineering

I imagine I will set up a couple of laptops, or even a couple of virtual
machines, but I am wondering if the "demo effect" is the same with
virtual

versus real machines ?

I would be pleased to receive comments on anything in my plan,
including:

- the subjects chosen for each type of audience;

- how to implement them easily; concerning the web app security demo, I
have planned at first to use the excellent "Hacme Bank" from Foundstone,
but I

think the licence will prevent me from using it :-( . Any idea of a
similar free tool ?

- link to external resources on the subject.

- similar experience of people from this list ;-)

Thanks,

Koro.