WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web security breach changes the lives of 119 people

From: "Kim Dyer" <dyer () msu edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:19:28 -0500

Chances are that nobody at Harvard Business School or ApplyYourself Inc.
bothered to contemplate the most obvious scenario: that somebody other
than the 119 accused, or their friends and family, was responsible for
the majority of (or all of) the attempts to access application records.

Actually, every report I've heard on this incident says that they
Specifically DID consider that.

What information of a personal nature would have been required in order
to access the pending application?

Passwords and or PINs from what I've been reading.

Perhaps it
was possible to browse any one of the pending applications once one had
penetrated the ApplyYourself Inc. security perimeter.

The reports I've seen said that you could only see the one application if
you saw anything.  I guess the majority just got a blank screen.

This is more likely than is the scenario as it has been depicted.

You don't think it likely people would want to sneak a peek if they thought
they could?  That's pretty much just human nature.