WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web security breach changes the lives of 119 people

From: <psiphon () infosecguides com>
Date: 29 Mar 2005 19:14:06 -0000

I'd compare it more to testing the door of a car you are purchasing in a month as opposed to random cars. You know it's
wrong cause you don't own it yet, but figure you just want to check out the inside. After all, they could only see
their own info and status; not that of others. I'd agree with Michael that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Actually, I view it as someone walking through a parking lot trying car
doors to see if they are unlocked. They know what they are doing is
wrong, and if it is locked, well then no one will really know. If it
isn't locked, then it doesn't seem as bad as actually breaking a window,
because the opportunity is there, and the vehicle seems to be in the
same shape as in when you left it.

I think paralleling this to an attempted murder charge might be a little
harsh.

Cory