WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Proposal to anti-phishing

From: Moksha Faced <mokshafaced () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:24:00 -0500

Lyal,

You make several good points but I agree with many of the others posting on this thread, I don't believe it will ever happen unless the market demands it. As a former bank technocrat I can tell you that we had studied several of these ideas such as hardware tokens, watermarking, etc. but all of these ideas were dropped for various reasons (almost none of which were technical) but primarily due to a lack of doing anything that impeded the 'customer', including trying to secure them and their unmanaged client platforms (these were the prevailing management 'wisdom' winds at the time).

Worse of all, for anyone that's ever worked inside a large bank and can attest, the people that make these decisions are usually the least technically competent or qualified to make such a decision. I may be wrong but you are probably not going to 'get ahead' in a large bank by being technically bright, you only get ahead by 'riding the horse in the direction it's going' and that is usually the path of least resistance (i.e., the least secure path). The only way this momentum will change is if the market demands it and it drives the bankers to react to customers that INSIST the bank protect their accounts and privacy. You have to remember the bankers only want to do things that make themselves look good inside their oligarchies and until the data/metrics they are measured with includes a security driver it's just not going to happen.

So how do we educate the consumers and help them drive some market demand for some secure methods?

Warm regards,
mf