WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Should login pages be protected by SSL?

From: Amir Herzberg <herzbea () macs biu ac il>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:20:13 +0200

Here is a simple question: should web login forms be always protected by SSL?

As a crypto/security expert, my answer is yes. I think this is necessary, to protect against MITM attacks, as well as from the more common and easy phishing, pharming, and other forms of spoofing attacks, even usage of a near-typo URL (I just happened to go to citybank.com when my goal was citibank.com, and it took me a while to realize...).

But, apparently, not everybody agrees. In fact, some login forms, of very established corporations, are not protected by SSL (or TLS). Whenever I come across such as site, I contact the corporation and ask them to `fix` the page. Few do; most ignore (or reply with typical corporate meaningless reply); but few actually argue, and seriously, that their practice is sound.

Now, I didn't hear any argument which I found convincing, of course. In particular, I can't accept that `this is not a major threat`. But I thought maybe this forum can provide more light on this matter. Comments? Opinions?

BTW, I keep a `hall of shame` web page listing these sites that ignore my warning or actually told me they don't consider this a security problem. I also keep Q&A on phishing/spoofing, and some other related resources (in particular I lead the development of TrustBar, an browser extension to help identify sites securely). See all this in my site.
--
Best regards,

Amir Herzberg

Associate Professor