WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: http://www.domainname.com./ (with the ending)

From: exon <exon () home se>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:05:51 +0200

Fun issue. It seems to come back to haunt all the sec-lists once every six months.

This is the intended DNS lookup behaviour, and FQDN's NOT ending in a dot gets one appended before the request is sent to the DNS. Read the relevant RFC if you're curious about details.

/exon

Scovetta, Michael V wrote:
All--

I don't think this is anything to be concerned about, but I find it
odd that some websites (looks like IIS-sites), if you go to
http://server./ (with a period appended), you usually get a "no web
site configured", or "under construction". I guess the browser
ignores the last . and finds the name in DNS, but then puts the . in
the Host header. It looks like Apache ignores the . in the host
header, so you go wind up seeing http://server/'s content even though
the URL says http://server./

For instance: http://www.google.com./ Normal Google page http://www.easyasphosting.com./ 400 - bad request http://www.iviewstudio.com./ 404 - File Not Found (or "No web site
is configured at this address")

I'd assume that if you have multiple hosts configured, then the .
throws it off.

It also looks like Firefox and IE both handle it the same way.

Sorry if this is a re-post-- I've never heard of this before, it just
struck me as odd, and thought I should throw it out there.

Regards,

Michael Scovetta Computer Associates Senior Application Developer