WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Https sniffer

From: Achim Hoffmann <kirke11 () securenet de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:19:27 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Phalak, Kashmira Vijay wrote:

!! Hi All,
!!
!! Thanks for your suggestions! But most of these products suggested need
!! the private key to be supplied for decrypting the SSL traffic.

For shure do they need the key for decryption. Or what else do you expect?

!! The HTTP
!! Analyzer which I initially tried, does not need the private key to be
!! supplied and does a good job of decrytping SSL traffic.

HTTP is not encrypted, hence you don't need a private key. Or do I miss
something in your description?

!! Can anyone
!! explain to me how this works? But the HTTP analyzer only sniffs the
!! traffic in the current user session.

Don't know what you mean, in particular which HTTP analyzer.
But I guess that it is a tool installed in or together with your browser.
Then it does not nead any key 'cause the traffic has already been decrypted
by the browser (which has a key).
That also would explains why your are talking of "user sessions".

!! This behavior is different from
!! that of ethereal when I set it in promiscuous mode. Here, I can see
!! traffic from other machines on the same ether segment.

ethereal dumps SSL too (but not decrypted, for obvious reason)

!! I may be wrong
!! here, but I don't see this in either ClearWatch,ssldump or ngrep.

What are you missing beside what cannot be done (see description above).

Does this explain how these tools work? Or do you need something different?
{-: Achim

!!
!!