WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: AW: Three Physical Tiers in the Name of Security?

From: dinis_webappsec <dinis_webappsec () ddplus net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:12:16 +0100

I just would like to add, that from my personal experience, even when
systems have three layers that are separated by some 'low hanging fruit
protection' stuff (like firewalls, or IIS Application Pools), the
functionality that exists from layer 3 to layer 2 and from layer 2 to
layer 1 (being layer 3 the Internet facing one) is more than enough to
gain full access to the targeted asset (which is usually a database)

What I mean is that if I am able to execute malicious code in the web
server, I can use the interfaces to the 'business layer' to gain full
access to the 'Database Layer'.

Why? Because attacks from 'internal' malicious code are very rarely
considered and mitigated.

And if they have a Fat C++/.Net/Java client (or in he 'new 2006 version'
in AJAX :) I can even start this 'exploitation-stack' on the client machine.

Dinis Cruz
.Net Security Consultant
Owasp .Net Project Leader

Rehberger Leopold wrote:

Hi,

In fact there are some security considerations. One is the possibility to place firewalls between the layers.
This gives you more control regarding security.

The proper place for the presenaton layer is a DMZ. Why? Because nowadays many attacks work on the application level
through Http Protocol (Code Injection, Path Traversal, Parameter Manipulaton, Use of Buffer Overflows,...) The first
server which may be attacked on that level ist the one which holds the presentation layer, because this is the server
which actually answers the Http Requests. Do you like to have this server in your Corporate Network? I guess not.

So it is definitly a good idea to seperate the presentation layer from the application layer and seperate those two layers through a firewall. To even gain more flexibility regarding security proxies, application gateways and web filters may be placed between the layers as well.
Another point is the possibility to change protocols between the layers, which gives you additional security.

Typically the following architecture will give you proper security:

Internet -> FW1 - Proxies, Webfilter - Presentation Layer -> FW2 -> Application Layer -> Data Layer

If you deal with an application where the presentation layer and the application layer are not seperatable I would
consider the following Architecture:

Internet -> FW1 - Proxies, Webfilter -> FW2 Presentation+Appl. Layer -> FW3  -> Data Layer

Of course this are only recommendations. Your architecture depends on your actual situation and your needs for
security. You may choose more or less layers and firewalls.

greetings,

Leopold Rehberger