WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: My review of 19 Sins

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:09:42 -0700

I got my copy from the book stall table near registration. They smell so fresh. They still have paper dust bunnies in many pages. ;)

The table of contents are Top 19-like, not Writing Secure Code-like. That's my disappointment as well and
influenced the thinking behind my review.

However, if you treat it as a Top 19 book, it's actually very good. Ditto if youIf you have a project which seems intractably bad from a security point of view, you can give copies of this book to the business folks and they'll understand what they need to fix. It's very good for that. It might even bring them into the 21st century.

However, if you're writing new code, or highly protected apps or high end e-commerce apps, you'll still need Writing Secure Code and the Guide 2.0.

After reading the book for a day and a bit now, I don't think new or highly protected apps were its target, nor is new code the target as the text strongly concentrates on sin patterns rather than "goodness" design patterns. The book will help them.

thanks,
Andrew