WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Example of the worst passwd recovery interface

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:53:31 +0200

Yousef Syed wrote:

 On the otherhand, you have sites (my bank is similar) that make
password retrieval difficult/impossible. Though this could be
inconvenient, I'd prefer my bank to deal with me in this manner.

Forcing users to retrieve passwords offline (i.e. going to the bank branch as somebody mention) when they get blocked is actually a security feature. It not only helps prevent against deploying insecure password retrieval mechanisms, it makes online attacks much more difficult (somebody has to physically go to the branch, get recorded on a camera while he is in, etc. and an attack cannot be fully automated)

Just my few cents

Javier