WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Application Assessment

From: Glyn Geoghegan <glyng () corsaire com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:47:58 +1000

On 8 Aug 2005, at 12:53, goenw wrote:

Hi,

anybody have experience with application assessment ? I am a network guy, dont know much about the apps PT.
1. is there any tools that allow me to do the assessment throughly ?

Typically, the kind of tools you'll need are the personal-proxy category, allowing you to intercept and modify communications between the client and server - see Paros Proxy, Odysseus and Burp Proxy, for example.

There are fully automated tools, but in my personal experience the manual approach has worked more effectively.

Fat client/binary assessment is a slightly different (and arguably more complex) beast, and probably off-topic for this list.

2. should i have external party conduct this, what are the things i should expect from them (success criteria) ?
any comments are appriciated.

That depends on how confident you are with your abilities, the drivers for the assessment and a wealth of factors. Normally, some coding or development background is essential to identify and understand potential vulnerabilities.

Check out www.application-testing.com for our guide on the world of Application Security Assessments.

--
G l y n   G e o g h e g a n                   BSc, ARCS
Principal Consultant                       Corsaire Ltd