WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Tomcat Security

From: Ron Forrester <itripn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:17:56 -0700

On 8/11/05, Nathan Tobik <nathan.tobik () vigilantminds com> wrote:
about the value of changing banners.  From what I remember there is
almost no security value added by changing a banner.  I would work on
making sure your application is secure and then it won't matter if an
attacker knows you're running Java or not.

Not to dig up that past conversation again, but I don't remember the
conclusion really being that it was exactly useless. Yes there are
better things to focus on, but if a 30 second change to the web server
config can thwart simplistic attacks (worms, etc) which id victims by
version/header information, seems reasonable to me, and certainly
can't hurt. I believe a basic tenant of security is not to give out
unrequired or unnecessary information.

Having said all that, I once spent a few minutes looking at how to do
this on tomcat, and got quickly distracted by other issues, so I
didn't figure it out.

--
rjf&